6125 NC Hwy 16 South
Taylorsville, NC 28681
Planning & Development Staff
Beginning February 1, 2018
To better serve our customers in the future, please read the updated policies regarding inspection requests.
• Inspection requests will only be scheduled once a trade permit application has been completed. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
• Each subcontractor working on a job site must complete a trade permit application.
• All permits will now be assigned a project number and that number must be used when you call for an inspection.
These changes are a result of implementation of new computer software that will better able us to serve you. We sincerely ask for your patience as we continue with upgrades within our department.
Alexander County Planning and Inspections Staff
The Planning Department advises citizens, applicants, local boards and committees regarding current and future land use planning issues. Our efforts include the administration of land development ordinances; transportation, recreational and environmental planning. The County Commissioners recently adopted a new Comprehensive Plan, replacing one written in 1993. The new plan outlines growth management strategies addressing land use, transportation, economic development, environmental assets, recreation and cultural resources based upon comments and concerns received during a series of community meetings. These guiding principles should assist in land use decisions for the next ten to fifteen years. Click here to review a copy of the plan. Please utilize the links below to access information on the County’s land use ordinances, the Planning and Zoning Commission, as well as application forms for board review.
We hope that you find the information you are seeking, if not, please contact us.
- Customer Service - Each employee of the ACPD department will strive to provide courteous service to all customers.
- Assure Public Safety - ACPD’s priority is to protect public safety thru adherence to adopted policies and code.
- Consistency and Dependability - ACPD will be diligent in providing consistent and timely service when carrying out their duties.
- Promote Economic Development - ACPD staff join their Alexander County government colleagues in working with business and industry to ensure that adopted policies and codes will promote economic growth throughout Alexander County.
6125 NC Hwy 16 South
Taylorsville, NC 28681
Building/Zoning Inspections Staff
Chief Building Inspector
- Submit a Zoning Permit from the County or the Town of Taylorsville. Zoning Permits are required for any new structure, addition or remodeling projects. The Zoning Permit includes the type and size of proposed use (example: single-family dwelling, manufactured home, commercial building). If the structure is a manufactured home, the applicant must also complete a Manufactured Home Permit (county only). For county permits, a site plan should be submitted. The plan must show the property lines in relation to: Existing and proposed structures; Dimensions of existing and proposed structures; Distances between existing and proposed structures; and Distances from all existing and proposed structures to the front, rear and side property lines. All county Zoning Permits issued will expire six (6) months after the approval date, if work has not started on the property.
- Following zoning approval, complete an Improvement & Operations Permit with the Environmental Health Division. An Environmental Health Specialist will work with the applicant in the review and installation of individual or community water and septic systems. The Improvement Permit cannot be issued without a Zoning Compliance Permit. For more information regarding Improvement & Operations Permits, please contact Environmental Health at 632-1000, extension 311. Environmental Health will collect fees for the Improvement & Operations Permit.
- Following zoning and Improvement Permit approval, submit a Permit Application. The Permit Application cannot be issued without approval of the Zoning Permit and Improvement Permit. Permit Applications for site-built structures, additions or remodeling must be submitted with two (2) sets of plans.
- The applicant will be notified when the Permit Application is approved. At that time, permit fees will be collected. All permits must be completely filled out and contain original signatures.
When requesting an inspection, please give the following:
- The name of the property owner.
- Permit number (receipt number)
- A phone number where caller be reached.
Special circumstances will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
A re-inspection fee may be charged when the work to be inspected is not ready on the requested date/time.
Building Inspections accepts cash, checks and credit/debit cards.
The Planning & Development Department encompasses Building Inspections, Planning and Zoning. The Inspections staff provides customer service in all four trades of inspections outlined by N.C. Building Code Council: Building, Electrical, Mechanical and Plumbing. The Zoning staff reviews and approves zoning permits and manufactured home appearance permits; enforces local planning related ordinances; coordinates subdivision review; recommends proposed subdivisions and other related planning applications such as rezonings and variances to the Planning and Zoning Commission.
For more information, visit the Alexander County GIS Map