Position Status:Part-Time – No Benefits
Department:Sheriff’s Office- 911 Communications
Opening Date:August 15, 2022
Closing Date:Until Filled
An employee in this class receives incoming calls and determines the nature of emergency and non-emergency situations while retrieving and entering data via a computer. The employee will dispatch appropriate emergency medical services, rescue, law enforcement, and fire department personnel to emergency and non-emergency scenes. Duties include logging calls, maintaining detailed records, answering non-emergency calls for information concerning various county and other services. The employee will operate the Division/Criminal Information (DCI) computer and other systems. The employee will work on an as-needed basis according to the department’s needs, including days, nights, weekends, during inclement weather, and holidays (hours per week vary for part-time positions). Must be able to work 12-hour rotating shifts.
• Graduation from high school or GED.
• Must be a minimum of 18 years of age to apply.
• Must be able to speak and write English with sufficient clarity to be understood by others on the telephone and in person.
• Must have the ability to read and discern visual images on various media using normal eyesight or corrected lenses.
• Must possess basic Windows skills, ability to type quickly and accurately on a computer keyboard, professional customer service skills, and strong multi-tasking abilities with the ability to remain focused under stress.
• Must be able to report events and information in writing legibly and accurately, using proper English grammar.
• The ability to actively listen, hear and understand the needs in situations with differentiate speech at various intensity levels is required.
• Certifications in AHA CPR, Division of Criminal Information (DCI), NC Sheriffs’ Standards Basic Telecommunicator and, International Academy Emergency Medical Dispatch (EMD).
• Certified in ICS 100, 200, 700 and 800 (NIMS) and Hazardous Materials to the Awareness Level or have the ability to become certified within 6 months of date of hire, and maintain certification throughout employment.
Preferred Education and Experience:
• One year of experience in communication systems involving telephone, computer display terminals, and associated keyboards and control devices, and experience with a high level of public contact under emergency conditions.
• Experience in Emergency Services (fire, rescue EMS and/or law enforcement).
• CPR, NC DCI, NC Sheriffs’ Standards Basic Telecommunicator and Emergency Medical Dispatch (EMD) certifications.
• Knowledge of Alexander County streets, highways, and waterways. Strong knowledge of computers and Computer Aided Dispatch (CAD) systems.
• Bilingual in English and Spanish.
The ideal candidate will have the ability to handle stressful situations, act decisively, use good judgment, handle a variety of rapidly flowing information at one time, learn and apply new information, and remember numerous details/have good memory retention.
Only qualified applicants will be referred for an interview.
Applications may be filed online at www.alexandercountync.gov or by mail to Alexander County Human Resources, 621 Liledoun Road, Taylorsville, NC 28681.