Position Status:Part-Time No Benefits
Department:Alexander County Parks
Opening Date:July 31, 2023
Closing Date:Until Filled
An employee in this class provides varied visitor services; performs semi-skilled and unskilled maintenance and other tasks at passive parks and associated facilities in support of the operation, development, and resource protection of the parklands and trails. Duties may also expose the employee to human body fluids and thus the work is subject to the OSHA requirements on blood borne pathogens. Work involves responsibility for general grounds and facilities custodial maintenance, enforcement of park regulations, collection of fees and related records maintenance. Work is performed in accordance with established policies and regulations under the general supervision of the Park Ranger and/or Park Director.
• Assists visitors by providing information and directions; answers phones; responds to complaints; collects appropriate fees; issues activity permits, maintains good relations with neighbors, etc.; maintains professional relations with other staff, and other agencies; and assists with special events and groups.
• Keeps various logs, such as, daily logs, number of visitors, etc.
• Responds to park emergencies, operates radio to provide and coordinate information; and completes medical/incident reports.
• Performs routine maintenance work to include removal of litter; cleans and stocks restrooms; empties garbage cans and changes trash liners; and removes graffiti.
• Performs grounds maintenance to include mowing, weeding, fertilizing, watering, seeding, and raking; plants trees and shrubs, ground cover; mulches and amends soil; assists with irrigation; prunes trees and shrubs; assists with hauling and removing trees and shrubs; paints and repairs signs, information panels, fences, gates, benches, tables, and parking lots.
• Performs trail maintenance: removes hazards, such as fallen trees; removes invasive plants, repairs and replaces trail signage, removes leaves from trails, repairs or removes erosion problems associated with trails.
• Patrols park; opens and closes park; and closes trails due to fire danger, snow, ice or other hazards.
• Operates and maintains light equipment.
• Performs related duties as required.
• May be required to perform additional maintenance at other county parks
• Employee will be required to work irregular hours, weekends and holidays.
• Graduation from high school.
• Any combination of training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
• Must have a valid NC driver’s license.
Applications may be filed online at www.alexandercountync.gov or by mail to Alexander County Human Resources, 621 Liledoun Road, Taylorsville, NC 28681.