Position:Medical Office Assistant
Opening Date:December 6, 2022
Closing Date:Until Filled
An employee in this class works as an integral member of a multidisciplinary team to perform a variety of clerical and nursing tasks in recording and maintaining patient data and reports and providing information to individuals and families who are recipients of local health services. Duties include providing support and/or assisting medical provider and/or clinic staff with standard nursing or (if applicable, and laboratory functions). Work is performed under the general supervision of the Health Director.
• Completes general medical office duties such as answering the phone, recording, reporting and filing patient’s medical/dental records involving laboratory tests results, appointments, tickler cards and physicians, dentists and nurse’s diagnosis into computer system.
• Collects patient information which includes obtaining some personal and medical history from patient (in person and/or via telephone; determining the eligibility of patient as outlined by departmental policies and giving the patient the exact date and time of appointments.
• Screens patients, students, or staff for symptoms.
• Provides assistance to provider and ensure instruments are ready for use.
• Provides information, as directed to them by health professional personnel to health services recipients.
• Escorts patients to their destination within the health department; sets up clinic room and interviewing stations and has all needed supplies ready for use during the clinic.
• Assists physicians and nurses with standard nursing assignments and laboratory functions such as setting up equipment, simple hemoglobin and urinal tests, assists physician with pelvic examinations and performs other standard laboratory tests.
• Documents patient questions/concern to provider and ability to relay questions/concerns to provider and explain medical instructions to patients.
• Assists with COVID-19 related duties as assigned.
• Connects staff/parents/guardians/students with COVID-19 resources and education.
• Investigates COVID-19 contacts and exposures within the school setting as needed Understanding of infection prevention and the utilization of PPE.
• Comfortable with wearing full PPE (gown, gloves, N95 and face shield) as needed.
• Performs all lab test per contract addenda in the maternity clinic, family planning, child health, adult health and the general clinic labs.
• Completes general clinic testing for blood sugar, hemoglobin, syphilis, rubella, hepatitis B, varicella titers, HIV, Pregnancy test and blood lead. Blood draws for various test order by medical provider.
• Provides quality health care according to relevant standing, clinical or private orders; court orders; including state and/or federal requirements.
• Graduation from high school or general educational development diploma and one year formal training course in Medical Office Assisting (MOA) at a community college or technical institute; or
• Graduation from high school or general educational development diploma and a combination of one year of clerical and health/dental related experience; or
• One year of laboratory experience; or
• An equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Listing as a Nurse Aid I or II by the NC Division of Health Service Regulation is preferred.
Applications may be filed online at www.alexandercountync.gov or by mail to Alexander County Human Resources, 621 Liledoun Road, Taylorsville, NC 28681.