Alexander County is responding to the Coronavirus outbreak. Read more

Child Support Services

Making a Difference

Child Support Services

Leigh Milstead
Child Support Supervisor

What Is Child Support Services?

Child Support Services is a nationwide program established by Congress in 1975 to ensure that both parents support their children to the extent of their ability. In Alexander County the program is administered by Social Services. The federal legislation mandating the Child Support Program is Title IV-D of the Social Security Act. Sometimes, the program is called the IV-D (4-D) program.

Where Do I Go?

Alexander County Child Support Office is located within the Alexander County Department of Social Services at 604 7th Street SW, Taylorsville, North Carolina 28681.
The phone number is (828) 632-1080

Who Is Eligible for Services?

Services can be provided to any North Carolina parent or custodian regardless of income level. Individuals receiving Work First Family Assistance and Medicaid are automatically referred to the local child support enforcement agency. Persons receiving public assistance are required to cooperate with child support enforcement as a condition of their eligibility for assistance. Persons not receiving public assistance may apply for and receive child support services upon the payment of a $10.00 or $25.00 application fee, based on income guidelines from the Federal Register. This includes aunts, uncles, grandparents, court-appointed guardians, or others who are caring for a child. For more information about the program the following resources are available to answer questions about the CSE program:
Phone: 1-800-992-9457 toll free, or any local child support enforcement agency

Custodial parent, custodian, or non custodial parent may call toll free number (1-800-992-9457) for complete case information such as payments, arrears, court dates scheduled and any other case activity twenty four hours per day 7 days per week.

Payment Information?

North Carolina has a central collection process for receipting child support payments. Custodial parent or custodian may request direct deposit or smiOne Card, which is a debit card.

Do you have information regarding an individual who may owe child support?
Please call the Anonymous Parent Tip Hotline at:
1-855-449-8741 (toll free) OR (e-mail)

The more information you are able to provide about the identity and whereabouts of the individual, the more likely it is that child support payments can be established and enforced.

If known, please provide the individual's:
  • Name
  • Date of Birth
  • Address (location and directions)
  • Cell phone (contact number)
  • Employer
  • Last 4 digits of their Social Security Number
  • Recent Picture
  • The name of who the Child Support is due to