Opening Date:February 7, 2022
Closing Date:Until Filled
The Alexander County Sheriff’s Office is recruiting motivated candidates who are physically able to perform duties as assigned, have excellent communication skills, and have a willingness to make a positive change in their community. The agency will provide training opportunities and pay for time worked during training. Certifications and prior experience may be considered in starting rate of pay.
The employee will be required to have knowledge of the security, rules, regulations, and procedures of the institution and the ability to enforce institutional rules firmly and fairly and detect potential behavior problems of inmates, and early symptoms of common health problems. The employee will be required to carry out oral and written directions accurately, supervise the activities of large groups of inmates, prepare records and reports and establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates.
• Receives and processes inmates into the custody of the institution; searches prisoners; takes charges of securing the personal property of inmates, advises inmates of institutional rules.
• Patrols jail by foot to perform visual checks of inmates and provide for safety and security of inmates.
• Supervises inmates during meals, personal hygiene, and other related activities.
• Prepares written records and activity logs pertaining to inmate and facility activities.
• Records inmate visits and performs inspections of items brought into the facility.
• Investigates incidents occurring in the facility, gather evidence, and testifies in court as required.
• Performs other related tasks as needed.
• Applicant must be at least 21 years of age at the time of hiring.
• Must consent to full background investigation during the hiring process.
• Ability to pass a drug screening and medical examination.
• Must successfully complete Detention Officer Training certification course within one (1) year of being hired as mandated by the NC Sheriff’s Training & Standards Division.
• Applicant must possess a valid High School Diploma or GED.
• Must possess a valid NC driver’s license.
To apply for this position please visit the Alexander County Sheriff’s Office located at 91 Commercial Park Avenue in Taylorsville, NC between the hours of 8 am-5 pm Monday through Friday (closed holidays) to pick up an application packet. (Online applications are not accepted)