Position:Community Social Services Technician
Opening Date:May 11, 2022
Closing Date:May 25, 2022
An employee in this class assists the social work team by scheduling and supervising visits between children and their families; transporting children/parents to scheduled visits, medical appointments, etc.; providing homemaker services to reduce risk in families identified by social work staff; and scheduling and preparing for various other meetings. The employee works under the direct supervision of the Social Work Supervisor III. Regular working hours are Monday through Friday, 8 am – 5 pm; however, a flexible schedule is necessary to accommodate late afternoon visits and weekend transports (usually children to placements).
• Schedules and transports clients to appointments for meeting their medical, psychological, educational, and various other needs.
• Transports children and families to and from visits.
• Supervises visits with children and their families, as advised/ordered by the courts or requested by a social worker.
• Documents observations from these visits.
• Prepares and testifies in court.
• Assists clients with household management, utilizing community resources, employment, looking for housing or remedying evictions, money management, food preparation and safety issues, hygiene issues, home cleanliness, organizational skills, and addresses unsafe living conditions and basic life skills.
• Organizes/schedules permanency planning meetings, child protection team, and child fatality meetings (including taking minutes).
• Calculates foster parents’ monthly payments and updates foster parents’ information book.
• Helps social workers schedule and coordinate times and dates for CFTs (child and family team meetings), as well as facilitating these meetings.
• High School Diploma or GED and a demonstrated possession of knowledge, skills, and abilities gained through two years of experience in performing similar instructional and community placement tasks; or
• Graduation from a two-year associate degree program designed to prepare support personnel for human services agencies which includes a six month practice/internship in a similar setting (one year of the above experience may be substituted for the practice).
• Must have a valid NC driver’s license.
Applications may be filed online at www.alexandercountync.gov or by mail to Alexander County Human Resources, 621 Liledoun Road, Taylorsville, NC 28681.