The Alexander County Board of Elections offers the following information and tips for the upcoming Primary Election.
• In-person early voting begins Thursday, April 28 at 8:00 a.m. and ends on Saturday, May 14 at 3:00 p.m. Early voting will only be available at the Alexander Senior Center. The Senior Center will be open for early voting weekdays from 8:00 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. and Saturdays from 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
• Primary Election Day is Tuesday, May 17. Polls will be open 6:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. On Election Day, registered voters must vote at their assigned precinct polling place.
• The purpose of a primary election is to narrow down partisan contests where more than one candidate filed for the same seat in the same political party.
• In a primary election, each political party has its own primary ballot. The Democratic primary ballot has Democratic candidates running against Democrats, while the Republican primary ballot has Republican candidates running against Republicans.
• Alexander County Board of Education contests are non-partisan. Those contests will be on the November 8, 2022 general election ballot.
• If only one person filed for a seat with a political party, that candidate will automatically be moved to the November 8, 2022 general election. The following county offices are not on the May 17 primary ballot. Candidates for those offices have automatically been moved to the November 8, 2022 general election ballot.
• The Libertarian Party does not have a primary election this year.
• 17-year-old voters who will be 18 years of age on or before November 8, 2022 are eligible to vote in the primary election.
• North Carolina uses a semi-closed primary, which means that voters registered with a political party may only vote their party’s ballot and may not vote in another party’s primary. For example, a registered Republican may only vote in the Republican Party primary.
• Unaffiliated voters may choose the Democratic primary ballot or Republican primary ballot.
• A voter’s party affiliation for the May 17 primary is determined by the party affiliation listed on their voter record as of the voter registration deadline of April 22, 2022. Registered voters may not change their party affiliation after the voter registration deadline.
Learn more about the election at https://alexandercountync.gov/departments/board-of-elections.