Position:Animal Control Officer
Salary Range:$31,534.72 – $44,557.73
Opening Date:August 14, 2023
Closing Date:Until Filled
An employee in this class performs tasks associated with the enforcement of animal control regulations. Work involves receiving and responding to citizen requests for animal control service, including capturing and confining stray, diseased, bothersome, unlicensed, or apparently dangerous animals. The employee will assist in maintaining records of animals impounded by officers and assist the supervisor in implementing various programs. Tact and courtesy are required in explaining animal control regulations to animal owners and the general public. The employee is subject to the common risks of animal control enforcement and care. Work is performed per County and State laws and requires independent judgment and initiative in applying the laws. The employee will be placed on an after-hours on-call schedule with other officers. Ideal candidate must reside within approximately 30 minutes of Alexander County.
• Responds to citizen requests for services and captures animals for various reasons including strays, sick/injured, etc.
• Maintains records of various impounds, road activities, investigations, etc.
• Checks rabies certificates and issues citations for violations of State and County ordinances.
• Treats all animals humanely, properly, and with compassion at all times.
• Provides custodial oversight of inmate shelter workers as needed.
• Testifies in court against owners who disregard ordinance violations.
• Operates a County vehicle in carrying out enforcement duties.
• Educates the public on the importance of spay/neuter, animal welfare, County and State laws regarding animals.
• Responds to calls received via County 911 Communications Center involving animal related incidents.
• Maintains all assigned equipment to make sure of proper functioning.
• Graduation from high school or GED.
• One year of experience related to animal control enforcement or an equivalent is preferred.
• Certification as a Rabies Vaccinator and a Euthanasia Technician or ability to obtain certification within six months of the date of employment is required.
• Valid NC driver’s license.
Applications may be filed online at www.alexandercountync.gov or by mail to Alexander County Human Resources, 621 Liledoun Road, Taylorsville, NC 28681.