Position:Animal Care Technician
Position Status:Part-Time No-Benefits
Opening Date:June 13, 2023
Closing Date:Until Filled
An employee in this class performs tasks associated with the care of impounded animals and general cleaning of the kennel and cattery areas. Work involves feeding animals, moving animals from one enclosure to another, and cleaning primary animal enclosures, laundry, and other kennel areas following a strict cleaning and disinfection protocols based on the Animal Welfare Act. Work also involves assisting the shelter manager with euthanasia, vaccination, and de-worming of animals as needed. The employee is subject to the usual hazards of handling dogs and cats. Work is performed under the general supervision of the shelter veterinarian and shelter manager but the ability to follow specific protocols independent of direct supervision is expected. Weekend and holiday work may be required. The employee also is cross-trained to cover front desk duties and to counsel potential adopters as needed. Applicants should understand that most of the animals in the shelter are poorly socialized with little or no training. A flexible schedule with weekend and holiday work is required. A successful applicant must be extremely compassionate, patient, and understanding in dealing with animals.
• Feeds impounded animals following specific protocols.
• Moves animals from one enclosure to another as needed.
• Cleans & disinfects both cat and dog enclosures, including cleaning litter pans, following specific protocols.
• Washes dog and cat bedding and other kennel laundry daily.
• Provides social interaction with dogs and cats to enhance their adoptability.
• Assists shelter veterinarian or shelter manager with euthanasia, vaccination, and de-worming as required.
• Shares responsibility for counseling potential adopters.
• Shares responsibility for front desk coverage.
• Graduation from high school or GED.
• Experience as a veterinary technician or assistant or with experience in a commercial kennel setting is preferred; or
• A combination of education and experience.
• Possession of a valid North Carolina driver’s license.
Applications may be filed online at www.alexandercountync.gov or by mail to Alexander County Human Resources, 621 Liledoun Road, Taylorsville, NC 28681.