The NC Office of the State Fire Marshal announced the recipients of the 2020 fire grant, including seven departments in Alexander County, according to Mark Earle, Alexander County Fire Marshal/Deputy Emergency Management Coordinator. Seven out of eight departments in Alexander County received a total of $84,722.15.
These grants help to purchase firefighting equipment, personal protective equipment, rescue equipment, radios for communications, and other types of equipment so that these departments can better serve the community as a whole. Each department is a volunteer organization that depends on fire taxes, grants, fundraisers, and donations to provide the amount of fire protection at a professional level in their community.
The grant is a 50-50 matching grant process where the department will pay half of what they request in the application process.
Here is the list of grants:
• Bethlehem Community Fire & Rescue – $9,192.00
• Central Alexander Fire Department – $20,604.87
• Hiddenite Fire Department – $10,150.00
• Stony Point Volunteer Fire Department – $21,227.54
• Sugar Loaf Volunteer Fire Department – $7,539.74
• Vashti Volunteer Fire Department – $8,229.50
• Wittenburg Volunteer Fire Department – $7,778.50